Saturday, March 16, 2024

Something Bad

Dear friends, something Bad happened. A few days ago I was standing on the side of the trail sniffing some interesting moss when suddenly my leg stopped working.

My person took me to Vet. Apparently my CCL has broken. I don't know what this means, except that my knee hurts and my leg is very wobbly. My person says this is like a ruptured ACL in a human. My CCL is entirely gone. 

My person felt very horrible, but Vet said it wasn't her fault. Vet said I have cartilage buildup in my knee which means this has been wearing out for a very long time. 

When I fell a few weeks ago it may have made it happen sooner (although I was walking and running normally again!), but Vet says this bad thing was going to happen anyways. I have played and ran and zoomed and jumped and explored very hard for my entire life! Vet says my body is wearing out!

I am about twelve years old. We are waiting to find out if I am healthy enough to have surgery. If I don't have surgery, Vet says I will still be able to heal up enough to walk for a kilometer or two as long as I go slowly and rest after. I am already starting do some small steps on my bed leg, although it is still very wobbly!

The bad part is that I'm not allowed to go on Big Hikes anymore. All I get to do is sniff in the yard or on the street.

Also, I have to lose three pounds! This means diet! I am getting very little food in my bowl (this is sad), but I am getting kibbles all day long in food puzzles and for lying still and staying put when my person is moving around. So that part is good!

The other good part is that Nature is making Sun and Warm right now.

This is ME in Front Yard. The sun feels very happy on my fur. I am rolling in the grass! I still feel happy! I am still ME!

Dear friends, I don't like getting Old. I would prefer to stay Young, thank-you-very-much. 

Then I could lie in this sunny patch forever...

(Do you see my leg is sticking up? That is my bad leg. I can still move it! I can still roll around! I can still ask for belly rubs! It's just that my leg is rather wobbly...)

6 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

This is sad news, Ojo. We've known a lot of dogs that have had the surgery. It seems to be a slow recovery process. We know how much you love going on your long hikes and to the beach but slower and less is better as we age. We send you lots of AireZen and positive vibes. Let us know how things progress and enjoy that nice warm sunshine.

Millie and Walter said...

We're so sorry to hear that your leg is not working properly, Ojo. Our paws are crossed that you can find the best possible way for you to get better, whether it is from surgery or lots of rest and shorter walks. You sure look like you're having fun rolling around on the grass in your yard. Sunshine makes everything better.

Fay said...

Hi, Ojo! We are Very Sorry to hear that you are hurt. We are also Sorry to hear you are on a Diet. But we are happy about your Sun and Warm! We have heard that "Time Stops for No Dog." But there is still lots to Be Happy about at 12!

Liz Hamblyn said...

Hi Ojo. We are sorry to learn about your sore leg, but take heart our maremma Bella had the same operation last year and she recovered very well. About your diet, Bella had to lose some weight, maybe you could suggest to your family the benefit of cooked chicken, rice and carrots along with a vet recommended weight loss biscuits to provide recommended nutrients. Bella is on Hill Science, but there are many options out there. She has lost 8 of the 10 kgs that the vet recommended she lose. Good luck and we are all thinking of you.

WFT Nobby said...

Oh dear Ojo, I am sad to learn there will be no more big hikes or big bowls of food, but Gail and I are sure your human will help you adjust to your new situation and continue living your very best life.
Take care, dear chap.
Toodle-oo!
Nobby.

MadSnapper said...

My heart is aching with your hearts, you Ojo and your parents. Prayers for you to do well like Beau did. I am going to paste a link to Beaus ACL in Nov of 2021. He was not a candiate for surgery and we were told he would never walk again. Here we are 3 years later and he is still walking.
this is the entire tale. start at bottom and read up
Label https://fourpawsetc.blogspot.com/search/label/Beau%20ACL%202021
I am posting this because I feel you pain and love you Ojo...
this is a quick read the letter from the vet about Beaus ACL.
https://fourpawsetc.blogspot.com/2021/11/beaus-bad-news.html